Parler Suspended From Google Play Store for Lack of Moderation on ‘Egregious Content’

Parler, the social media platform frequently used by right-wing extremists and conspiracy theorists, has been temporarily suspended from the Google Play store for lacking “robust moderation for egregious content,” Google said on Friday.
“In order to protect user safety on Google Play, our longstanding policies require that apps displaying user-generated content have moderation policies and enforcement that removes egregious content like posts that incite violence. All developers agree to these terms and we have reminded Parler of this clear policy in recent months,” a Google spokesperson told TheWrap.
“We’re aware of continued posting in the Parler app that seeks to incite ongoing violence in the US. We recognize that there can be reasonable debate about content policies and that it can be difficult for apps to immediately remove all violative content, but for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content,” the spokesperson continued. “In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the app’s listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.”
Representatives for Parler did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but Parler CEO John Matze said on the platform that his company “will not cave to pressure from anti-competitive actors” and “politically motivated companies.”
Also Read: Proud Boys Website, Online Store Dropped by Web Host
Earlier on Friday, BuzzFeed News reported that Apple had threatened to permanently ban Parler from the App Store unless it created a “moderation improvement plan” within 24 hours of receiving Apple’s warning.
“We have received numerous complaints regarding objectionable content in your Parler service, accusations that the Parler app was used to plan, coordinate, and facilitate the illegal activities in Washington D.C. on January 6, 2021 that led (among other things) to loss of life, numerous injuries, and the destruction of property,” Apple wrote in a letter to Parler, according to BuzzFeed News. “The app also appears to continue to be used to plan and facilitate yet further illegal and dangerous activities.”
The social network service that was launched in 2018 has a very large user base of Donald Trump supporters, many of whom have been banned from other social platforms. It frequently contains far-right content and conspiracy theories.
Related stories from TheWrap:Twitter Permanently Suspends Trump’s AccountParler, a Twitter Alternative for Conservatives, Shatters Download Record Post-Election
Read More

Spread the love
Nicholas ‘Nick’ Statman entered the property industry in 2001 and set up a property buying company that quickly established itself as one of the biggest in the sector. During this time the Company successfully transacted on thousands of residential properties across the UK. Nicholas Statman was an early pioneer of the ‘quick sale’ niche market which has since grown considerably with a multitude of companies now operating in the sector. Nicholas Statman has strategically built a sizeable residential and commercial property portfolio with a view to holding for optimum capital growth and a long term passive income. Nicholas Statman has been involved in almost every aspect of the property sector over a 20 year period – this includes buying and selling, development, letting and management and is now involved in the fast growing online/ hybrid Estate Agent industry.

Latest articles

Biden tests ties with China, Russia with sanctions and...

Biden has invited Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping to a climate summit this week

Iraq brokers talks between rivals Iran and Saudi Arabia

Riyadh has officially denied the talks in its state media while Tehran has stayed mum

Boris Johnson’s India visit cancelled as coronavirus cases increase

A week-long lockdown was imposed in New Delhi to try to contain a spike in coronavirus cases

The Money-losing Game: Keeping Investors Engaged in Chinese Football

When China’s premier football competition, the Chinese Super League (CSL), kicks off on April 20 many things will be different on and off the pitch, notwithstanding the changed league format in which games will be played in two bio-secure ‘bubbles’ in Suzhou and Guangzhou due to the ongoing pandemic. Read: The Money-losing Game: Keeping Investors…

Similar articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Subscribe to our newsletter

Spread the love